Tuesday, December 16, 2008

6th Grade Math: Fractions

I have always thought and believed I was a wiz when it came to math. I enjoyed the problems and the problem solving and I even got good grades.
Then I get married, have a bunch of kids, you know, live life.
Then my oldest needs help with 6th grade math fractions.
I think I can handle them. I loved fractions when I was in school.
I understood fractions.
Well, apparently while I was living my life,
my brain was trading all things fractions
(multiplying, dividing, adding, and subtracting)
with the best way to calm a crying baby, how to get throw up out of the carpet,
how to do laundry for 6 people in 1 day,
(it sounds like a fraction, but it is impossible. Fractions have answers)
etc.
After swallowing my pride or whatever,
I get online to look up the classroom book website.
After Sarah finds it for me (I am utterly humiliated now) I start studying.
There was a cracking somewhere deep in my brain and
I no longer know how to calm a crying baby,
but I do know how to divide and multiply fractions.
4 hours later I was able to help Sarah with questions she had
and all 7 pages of not-yet-turned-in homework are done.

1 comment:

Kazzy said...

Yes, this is where tag-team parenting comes in, huh? Gid handles the writing assignment assistance and I handle the math. We sure do forget some of the old text book stuff!